Mariette M. Pereira obtained her PhD in Organic Chemistry in 1992 at the University of Coimbra and worked as Fellow Assistant Researcher at the University of Liverpool in 1993 and University Autónoma de Barcelona from 1997–1998. She has been Associate Professor with Habilitation at the University of Coimbra since 2007 and Director of Chemistry Research Laboratory of Luzitin Lda, a pharmaceutical spin-off until 2015. Her current research interests are the synthesis of chiral binaphthyl based ligands for the development of asymmetric catalysts for carbonylation tandem reactions and development of sensitizers based on tetrapyrrolic macrocycles for biomedicinal applications and environmental catalysis. She has published ca. 120 peer-reviewed papers in international journals, 2 books, and 6 book chapters and is the inventor of 2 patents.
Role in POLYTHEA:
- Supervisor of ESR 7
- Photodynamic therapy enhanced by dynamics: The role of charge transfer and photostability in the selection of photosensitizers,
Luis G. Arnaut, Mariette M. Pereira, Janusz M. Dabrowski, Elsa F. F. Silva, Fábio A. Schaberle, Artur R. Abreu, Luís B. Rocha, Madalina M. Barsan, Krystyna Urbanska, Grazyna Stochel, Cristopher M. A Brett, Chem. Eur. J., 2014, 20, 5346.
- Size and ability do matter! Influence of acidity and pore size on the synthesis of hindered halogenated meso-phenyl porphyrins catalysed by porous solid oxides,
Mónica Silva, Auguste Fernandes, Suse S. Bebiano, Mário J. F. Calvete, M. Filipa Ribeiro, Hugh D. Burrows and Mariette M. Pereira, Chem. Commun., 2014, 50, 6571.
- Ecofriendly Porphyrin Synthesis by using Water under Microwave Irradiation,
Csar A. Henriques, Sara M. A. Pinto, Gilberto L. B. Aquino, M. Pineiro, Mário J. F. Calvete and Mariette M. Pereira, ChemSusChem 2014, 7, 2821
- An insight into solvent-free diimide porphyrin reduction: a versatile approach for meso-aryl hydroporphyrin synthesis,
Mariette M. Pereira, Artur R. Abreu,b Nuno P. F. Goncalves, Mário J. F. Calvete, Ana V. C. Simões, Carlos J. P. Monteiro, Luís G. Arnaut, Maria Ermelinda Eusébio and João Canotilho, Green Chem., 2012, 14, 1666.
- Nouveaux dérivés de porphirine, notamment chlorines et/ou bactériochlorine, et leurs applications en thérapie photodynamique,
Mariette M. Pereira, Luis G. Arnaut, Sebastião J. Formosinho, Carlos J. P. Monteiro, Universidade de Coimbra; French Patent nr 0412149 from 16th November 2004, PCT/EP/012212 from 10th November 2005. WO/2006/053707. Granted: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Russia, China, South Africa, Australia, Brazil, Canada, India, Japan, Norway, USA.