Chair of Organic Chemistry, Trinity College of Dublin
Professor Senge was born in Silbach, Germany in 1961. After service in the Air Force he studied chemistry in Freiburg, Amherst, Marburg and Lincoln and graduated from the Philipps Universität Marburg in 1986. After a Ph.D. thesis in plant biochemistry with Prof. Horst Senger in Marburg (1989) and a postdoctoral fellowship with Prof. Kevin M. Smith at UC Davis, he moved to the Freie Universität Berlin and received his habilitation in Organic Chemistry in 1996. From 1996 on he was a Heisenberg fellow at the Freie Universität Berlin and UC Davis and held visiting professorships at Greifswald and Potsdam. In 2002 he was appointed Professor of Organic Chemistry at the University Potsdam and since 2005 holds the Chair of Organic Chemistry at Trinity College Dublin. He was the recipient of fellowships from the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and he was named a Science Foundation Ireland Research Professor. His interests are synthetic organic chemistry, the (bio)chemistry of tetrapyrroles, photobiology and photomedicine, structural chemistry, and history and philosophy of science.
Professor Senge has published over 320 scientific articles and holds one patent. He has contributed to more than 450 posters and presentations and was invited to over 160 talks. He is also very engaged in outreach programs, visiting schools and encouraging students to pursue science.
Role in POLYTHEA:
- Project Deputy Coordinator – Member of the Supervisory Board
- Leader of WP4 – Photosensitizer Design and Formulation
- Co Supervisor of ESR 2, 5, 6, 8 and 9
- Generation of Triplet Excited States via Photoinduced Electron Transfer in meso-anthra-BODIPY: Fluorogenic Response toward Singlet Oxygen in Solution and in Vitro
Filatov, M. A.; Karuthedath, S.; Polestshuk, P. M.; Savoie, H.; Flanagan, K. J.; Sy, C.; Sitte, E.; Telitchko, M.; Laquai, F.; Boyle R. W.; Senge, M. O.
(2017) Journal of the American Chemical Society 139, 6282–6285. doi: 10.1021/jacs.7b00551
- Conformational control of cofactors in nature – The influence of protein-induced macrocycle distortion on the biological function of tetrapyrroles
Senge, M. O.; MacGowan, S. A.; O’Brien, J. M.
(2015) Chemical Communications 51, 17031–17063. doi: 10.1039/C5CC06254C
- How green is green chemistry? Chlorophylls as a bioresource from biorefineries and their commercial potential in medicine and photovoltaics
Ryan, A. A.; Senge, M. O.
(2015) Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences 14, 638–660. doi: 10.1039/C4PP00435C
- Stirring the porphyrin alphabet soup – functionalization reactions for porphyrins
Senge, M. O.
(2011) Chemical Communications 47, 1943–1960. doi: 10.1002/chin.201122241
- Nucleophilic Substitution as a Tool for the Synthesis of Unsymmetrical Porphyrins
Senge, M. O.
(2005) Accounts of Chemical Research 38, 733–743. doi: 10.1002/chin.200552249