Project title: Optimization of the excitation mode of photosensitizers
Research secondments: Politechnika Wroclawska, Biolitec
Practical rotation: PorphyChem
ESR representative at the Supervisory Board (2018-2019)
Research project description and main objectives: One main issue of the POLYTHEA project is to develop photosensitizing dyes which can be used in a modular fashion for a variety of biomedical applications within the consortium. There are multiple advantages in using NIR light for activating photophysical processes relevant for photodynamic therapies.
Thus, this project will focus on the development of new systems than can be excited with NIR light by combining NIR dyes such as cyanines with porphyrins in order to produce reactive oxygen species. Using (photoinduced) charges that can recombine onto local triplet states to generate reactive oxygen species (also with functionalized surfaces) will be adressed.
This project is divided into two parts:
1) Synthesis of PS with targeted photophysical properties.
2) Evaluation of these properties
From Dublin, Ireland, he graduated with a B.Sc Chemistry in 2017 from University College Dublin (UCD). He obtained his M.Sc. Organic chemistry and X-ray Crystallography in 2018 from Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin (TCD).
- D. J. Gibbons, A. Farawar, P. Mazella, S. Leroy-Lhez, R. M. Williams, Making triplets from photo-generated charges: observations, mechanisms and theory, Photochemical & photobiological sciences, 2020, DOI: 10.1039/C9PP00399A
- K.J. Flanagan, M.P. Dominguez, Z. Melissari, H.G Eckhardt, R.M. Williams, D. Gibbons, C. Prior, G.M. Locke, A. Meindi, A.A. Ryan and M.O. Senge, Structural Effects of meso-Halogenation on Porphyrins: meso-Xn-ABCD Macrocycles, Beilstein Archives, 2021, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3762/bxiv.2021.21.v1
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daire.gibbons?viewas=100000686899395&privacy_source=timeline_gear_menu&entry_point=action_bar#_
- Dáire’s interview as member of the Supervisory Board
- Dáire’s presentation in UvA
- Daire’s poster presentation at the Chains Conference in Amsterdam – December 2019
- Dáire’s covid-19 interview:
- Dáire’s presentation to the UNILIM Autumn school on October 2020
- Dáire presented his work to the PDT-PDD Nancy 2020 virtual conference on November 5th, 2020